How We Can Help
We have experience handling a range of family legal matters, including:
- Divorce – Terminating a marriage can be a good way for both spouses to get a fresh start in life. However, getting to the next chapter is often quite challenging, especially without a qualified lawyer helping you navigate the process. Attorney Nikolas D. Capitano is here to ensure your rights remain protected and that you obtain a fair outcome.
- Child custody – When a divorce involves children, matters can become even more complicated. What type of custody arrangement is best for the child? Which parent will the child live with? When will the other parent get to spend time with the child? These are all issues that must be agreed upon, or else a decision will need to be made by a judge.
- Alimony – Another issue that arises during divorce is that of alimony. Alimony is the financial support supplied by one spouse to the other spouse after the divorce is final. The award is based on the receiving spouse's financial need for life after divorce. The amount and length of alimony is determined by the court and is based on the consideration of 17 different factors.
- Protection orders – When family disputes lead to domestic violence, the victim can petition the court for a protection order. When in place, the protection order prohibits the abuser from contacting the victim. It may also impose several other restrictions, including the inability to own or possess a firearm. If the abuser violates the rules of the protection order, he or she can be subject to arrest and penalties, such as fines and jail time.
- Mediation – Not all family legal disputes need to be resolved in the courtroom. In fact, in many cases, it is best to avoid going before a judge. This can be achieved through mediation. Mediation is the process whereby two parties meet with a third-party (the mediator) to attempt to work out their differences equitably. Divorcing spouses who can reach an agreement on all divorce-related issues can avoid the time and expense involved in going to court.
- Estate planning – Preparing for the future by creating an estate plan is an important way to ensure your assets remain protected and your loved ones are looked after. Whether through a will, trust, power of attorney, or other estate planning document, our attorney can help you ensure your wishes are carried out in the event of your incapacitation or death.
Contact Our Firm Today
When a family dispute arises, often there is much at stake. Time with your children, money to live on, and keeping the property that is rightfully yours are all issues you have to be concerned about.
Law Office of Nikolas D. Capitano, The Leges Group LLC is here to help you work towards an outcome that’s fair for everyone involved. If your matter cannot be resolved through mediation, we are able to be your advocate in the courtroom, ensuring your rights and interests remain protected.
Contact our Reading family law attorney today at (610) 200-6665 to get started with your case.